Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Playing In the Dirt

Despite the continued presence of frost in the mornings and the snow flurries today, it is time to start planting the garden. We put in peas, favas, and a variety of lettuces & greens this past weekend. All the babies are tucked in under a layer of mulch for the time being, but based on past years we expect to see little green heads popping up in the next couple of weeks. If it doesn't warm up soon, I may actually try some row covers for the raised beds this year. Tomatoes and peppers are resting comfortably in seeds flats on the sun porch and with any luck they'll also be reaching for the sun over the next couple of weeks. We have a number of herbs in 4" pots that have been spending the winter indoors, but are itching to get outside. Need to do some work on the herb spiral we started last fall. Picked up a few annuals this past weekend to give us a little early color in the borders. And the bulbs all seem to be waking up and on their way to a good spring show. Woo-Hoo!!

I don't know about any of you folks, but when we have days like this past Saturday, the gardening bug hits our house hard. How about you? Gettin' dirty yet?

4 comments:

  1. I'd say the snow is dampening my enthusiasm a bit. You know the old timers around Battle Ground say don't bother planting until the snow is off Silver Star Mountain. I have to say that has certainly been true for transplants in past years. I wasn't planning to sow anything until the end of the month, but now you've made me want to get out and get started. As soon as the snow melts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are getting things going early. I have never planted while the ground is still frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stef & Sunrise - It's pretty amazing how different the micro-climates are in our area. If I lived out where either of you do, I might not be planting yet either. But the ground here in town isn't frozen, having raised beds that stayed mulched all winter helps, and on average, we're usually at least a few degrees warmer here in Babylon than you are out in God's country. I'd never heard the snow on Silver Star theory of planting before, but I imagine it would make more sense for folks living out around Battle Ground and beyond. I've been readin Dick Raymond for years and I've always been inspired by his willingness to gamble and start as early as possible. The only real risk is losing a few packets of seeds, but the return is pretty sweet if things go well. This year I was motivated by the few lettuces and other greens that overwintered in the garden. I've watched them slowly start growing again recently and decided if lettuce was coming back to life, it might be a reasonable time to try some early planting. I really am going to try the cold frame or row cover thing soon...or sooner than later. Hope you thaw out soon, Sunrise (consider black plastic as a simple and inexpensive ally to help you warm the soil up a bit) & good luck starting early, Stef!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am living vicariously through your "playin in the dirt" posts...keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete