Saturday, October 11, 2008

It's Duck Season! - Macho Home Economics

I know a lot of guys in my neck of the woods who are avid or at least occasional waterfowl hunters...myself included. The difference between most of them and myself is that I don't just breast out my birds and throw the rest away. I save & eat the gizzards, tongues, hearts, livers, kidneys, render fat and/or make stock from the carcass, and save thighs, wings and legs in the freezer until we have enough to make a batch of confit. The birds are smaller and leaner than the birds you buy at the store, but that certainly does not make them any less valuable as a food source or any less deserving of our respect when preparing them for food.

This next series of videos is also brought to you by the amazing Bob & Mike from A Hunger Artist. It covers butchering a whole duck. Thank you, as always, gentlemen.

Part One



Part Two



Part Three

No comments:

Post a Comment