I can't recommend his seeds highly enough. Alan is offering seeds from stable and unstable plant lines in his seed rack. While growing unstable lines may not be for everyone, the benefits of growing from seed like Alan's (as well as seed from the Ken Ettlinger Long Island Seed Project, Tom Wagner of Tater-Mater Seeds and others) are many.
Most importantly you are helping independent seedsmen who are busting their tails to ensure the supply of new, diverse and non-patented seeds.
You will have the ability to select individual plants that bear favorable traits for your specific garden, climate, taste or breeding project.
You'll have a garden full of interesting and surprising things that will taste better than anything you can find in a store.
You'll be contributing to the future of our nation's food system security.
Some of the finest tasting and most beautiful fruits and vegetables I have ever grown came from Alan, Tom and Ken.
I know there are many great companies out there, but here's a short list of folks I have personally done business with and highly recommend to get you started.
- Abundant Life Seed Co.
- Adaptive Seeds - The Seed Ambassadors Project
- Amish Land Heirloom Seeds
- Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
- Bountiful Gardens Heirloom & Open Pollinated Varieties
- Bunch Grapes - Lon J. Rombough, Grape Grower Extraordinaire
- Fedco Seeds
- Fillaree Farms
- Franchi Seeds
- Full Circle Seeds
- Gourmet Garlic Garden
- Gourmet Seeds Intl.
- High Mowing Seeds
- Hip-Gnosis Seed Development Project (Alan Bishop)
- Horizon Herbs
- Irish Eyes & Garden City Seeds
- JL Hudson Seedsman
- Kitazawa Seeds - Asian Specialty
- Kusa Seed Society - Grains
- Marianna's Heirloom Seeds
- Moose Tubers (Fedco)
- Mother Earth's Seed & Plant Finder
- Native Seeds/SEARCH
- Nichols Garden Nursery
- One Green World - Fruit Trees & Berries
- Peace Seeds - Alan Kapuler
- Peter's Seed Research
- Pinetree Garden Seeds
- Prairie Garden Seeds
- Rain Tree Nursery - Fruit Trees, Berries & Other Edible Bush/Vine Fruits
- Redwood City Seed Co.
- Sandhill Preservation Center
- Seed Savers Exchange
- Seeds of Change
- Sourcepoint Seeds - Grains & Legumes
- Sustainable Mtn Agriculture Center Inc. - Heirloom Beans
- Tater-Mater's Seed Potatoes (Tom Wagner)
- Tatiana's Tomato Seeds
- Territorial Seed
- The Italian Cook's Seed Co.
- Trees of Antiquity - Huge Selection of Fruit Trees
- Turtle Tree Seed
- Uprising Seeds
- Victory Seed Co.
- Wild Garden Seed