Thursday, July 24, 2008

Sustainable Shopping Class

This just in from one of Clark County's hardest working naturalists and sustainablility proponents, Gary Bock. Sounds like a great class and it's only seven bucks! Nice....

Hi Friends,

I hope you can join me for a class on Sustainable Shopping this Wednesday July 30 at 6:30 p.m. at Firstenburg Community Center. I will be talking about some of the principles from Dr. Ellis Jones' book "The Better World Shopping Guide" and may even have a copy or two to give away. I will take his well researched ideas and combine them with my experiences in the trenches (and strip malls) of Clark County to deliver an entertaining and educational evening. To register for the class call 360-487-7001 ext. 0 and register for class# 49619. The $7 fee covers Firstenburg's expenses and doesn't go to me or any of my pet programs.

I hope to see you there!

Gary Bock

2 comments:

  1. I am curious what your thoughts are on the idea/concept of a vertical farm. How will it, in urban areas at least, augment the abilities of city people to shop/eat/consume locally?

    We're hyping a campaign right now that gets behind the concept - because at the very least, getting the word out is a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, I'm aware of the urban vertical farming concept, more specifically the NYC project that you're supporting. I think it may certainly have some merit...but I'm more of a low-tech/appropriate technology kind of guy. I'm just not sure we need to build a rocket ship to address an issue that may be better served by implementing a lower cost strategy using existing methods and materials. I'm leaning towards Spin Farming and a better cooperative network of direct support of small farms in or nearby urban areas. I can only surmise that if you diverted the cost of a project like the NYC vertical farm skyscraper into financing a better support system for existing farms, rooftop micro-farming and using existing/abandoned lots for high-intensity, micro farms. Good examples of these methods can be found at the Growing Home project in Chicago, Redhook Community Farm in NYC, the Urban Farm @ PS1 in Long island City...the list goes on and on. But hey, what the hell, anyone working on methods to improve the (virtually non-existent) security of our national food system is ok in my book.

    ReplyDelete